Advice on how to protect a child
As caring adults we are aware of so much that affects the lives of our children and we want to keep them as safe as possible.
We need to have knowledge about the issues and be able to understand the signs of harmful behaviours before we can begin to protect the vulnerable from them. To help protect children from sexual abuse we need to feel confident that we:
- Understand potential risks
- Recognise the signs of possible abuse in children
- Are aware of inappropriate behaviour in adults
- Know where to go for help if we have concerns and would like to talk about them
- If we notice changes that might mean that something is wrong we need to know where we can voice our concerns straight away, rather than feeling that we don't know what to do.
There is help available and steps need not be taken alone.
Parents Protect! is a dedicated child sexual abuse prevention and awareness website to help caring adults to just this. The site is a useful resource of information, guidance and resources. Its online learning programme enables you to work through the issues at your own pace and aims to:
- Give you the information you need about child sexual abuse
- Show you how to create a family safety plan
- Tell you who you can talk to if you are worried
Getting informed and seeking help and advice are the first steps to preventing or addressing issues around child sexual abuse.
Another useful resource relating to keeping children safe online can be found at Internet Matters.
Call the Stop it Now! Freephone, anonymous and confidential helpline on 0808 1000 900 for advice, support and information.
We also offer a confidential e-mail service, email@example.com, on which you can contact us. Your e-mail address will not be displayed. Due to high demand for this service, we are unfortunately unable to offer an immediate response to your enquiry. We aim to respond to all emails within 7 working days.
Sign up for news & updatesFill In Our Newsletter Form Here
To support our work to protect children, donate today.Donate Today