What are the consequences?
Family and Friends Forum
We hope this forum will be a valuable source of information, we want it to reduce people’s sense of isolation and to give them a sense of hope for the future.Continue
Many people who view sexual images of children online, or who commit related online offences, say that they were so caught up in what they were doing that they never stopped to consider the possible consequences for themselves or those closest to them. As well as the immediate emotional impact, if someone is arrested for viewing sexual images they may:
- Have to leave the family home, or have supervised access to their own or other children.
- Disclose to their employer, especially if they work in a situation in which they have access to children. For teachers and medical personnel, for example, arrest will lead to immediate suspension.
- Face financial and other hardships, particularly if employment is hard to come by.
- Go through a lengthy legal process.
- Be placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register (SOR).