Thoughts or behaviour
Welcome to the Family and Friends section of the Stop it Now! Get Support website. This part of the site is for wives and partners, parents, all adult family members and friends of people who they suspect or know may be engaging in inappropriate sexual behaviours involving children.
There are several reasons why you might have come to the Stop it Now! Get Support website, for example:
- Someone you are close to has told you they experience sexual thoughts about children
- Someone you are close to they have committed a contact sexual offence against a child
- You have concerns about the behaviour of someone you know towards children
This website offers free, anonymous self-help for those wishing to use the materials themselves or with the help of a family member or friend. It provides information about sexual offences against children and the law, and helps users to identify, explore, and manage their problematic sexual thoughts and/or sexual behaviour involving children.
The Family and Friends section may be read as an entire document if you wish. However, it may be that you are looking for information on a particular topic; for example, Who may experience sexual thoughts about children? or What are the consequences?, in which case you can go straight to that section.
Our aim is to provide the kind of information that family members need in order to begin to make sense of an extremely challenging situation. The discovery or suspicion that someone close to you is experiencing sexual thoughts about children, or engaging in inappropriate sexual behaviour, is usually very upsetting and people worry about the consequences not just for that person, but for themselves and their families.
You can of course talk to a trained operator via the Stop It Now! confidential Freephone Helpline, or contact us via our anonymous email system, but in addition this part of the website contains information that we hope you will find useful as you think about what to do next.
An opportunity to help us!
Whenever possible, The Lucy Faithfull Foundation and Stop It Now! conduct research in order to develop our knowledge and understanding with regards to all areas related to the prevention of child sexual abuse. As opportunities to participate in our research arise, we will post an advertisement below. If appropriate, and we believe the research findings could teach us something important, we will also advertise opportunities to participate in research conducted outside of our organisation. Your participation is incredibly helpful and we are extremely grateful for your time.
Your use of this website constitutes your agreement to the provisions of the following points:
- The information provided throughout this website is intended for information, self-exploration and self-help only. It is designed to increase awareness in people who may feel they experience sexual thoughts about children or may have committed a sexual offence against a child. The information contained in this website is not, and should not be taken as, a substitute for professional advice and/or treatment.
- Although the content of the self-help exercises is based on existing research, this research is on-going and the authors would not wish to make any claims about effectiveness.
- All the information contained on this website is intended to increase awareness of a problem, or potential problem, with regard to a sexual interest in children and is not designed to form a diagnosis. Anyone who feels that they may have a problem in this area should seek professional advice from a qualified person.
- The Stop It Now team accepts no liability for claims by, or damages of any kind whatsoever to, users of this website. This also applies to decisions or actions taken by any individuals on the basis of the information contained on this website.
- The information and materials, unless stated otherwise, are copyrighted by Stop It Now and are intended solely for the users own use.
- The contents, design and format of this website are under the ownership of Stop It Now and must not be reproduced or distributed without prior permission.