Need someone to talk to?
Call our confidential helpline or send us an anonymous message.Find out more
Stop It Now! Wales believes that all adults are responsible for protecting children from sexual abuse. By providing educative programmes such as our Parents Protect Plus! courses, accurate information through our printed materials, seminars for professionals and making the Stop It Now! helpline available to the Welsh public, we are committed towards preventing child sexual abuse.
A comprehensive approach
We recognise that we need a comprehensive approach to prevent child sexual abuse, and consider the approach as part of Stop It Now! Wales’s key aims and objectives. By applying a comprehensive approach to preventing child sexual abuse, the greater the impact and effectiveness of all of the work towards this common aim, is.
We undertook a review employing a framework developed by Smallbone et al, to examine the current response in Wales to child sexual abuse prevention and identify priority areas for improvement and need, highlighting the current challenges to effective child sexual abuse prevention.
We conducted research with young people, young people who had sexually abused children in the past, parents and carers, multi-agency professionals and adult sexual offenders. Employing the comprehensive framework developed by Stephen Smallbone we were able to examine the issue of child sexual abuse prevention and identify priority areas of need across Wales.
Findings, conclusions and recommendations
In order to maximise the effectiveness and impact of our work and that of many individuals and organisations across Wales, an All-Wales Strategy for child sexual abuse prevention is required that takes a public health approach to prevention. A comprehensive, long term strategy would ensure that communities, statutory agencies, and voluntary sector organisations are working together to tackle this issue in a co-ordinated way, thus achieving greater impact and efficiency, as well as protecting children and families from the devastating effects of sexual abuse.
The aim of this strategy would be to:
- increase public awareness of the scale, nature and consequences of child sexual abuse in Wales
- facilitate the development and implementation of a comprehensive, co-ordinated response to the sexual abuse of children, both nationally and locally, by including work with all priority target groups
- increase the long term effectiveness and impact of work currently on-going to tackle the sexual abuse of children in Wales
- address the shortage in services and resources required to achieve prevention before sexual abuse occurs
- ensure all aspects of prevention activities are evaluated in order to inform future developments
For more information on the Stop It Now! Wales, All Wales Review on Child Sexual Abuse Prevention 2012 please download the relevant documents below: